If you’re craving a taste of Guyana, look no further than the beloved Guyanese Cheese Roll. This mouthwatering snack has its roots in the multicultural tapestry of Guyana, a country on the northeastern coast of South America. Combining influences from Indian and Afro-Guyanese cuisines, this cheese roll is a delightful fusion of crispy, golden-brown dough and a gooey, savory cheese filling.
For the Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup water
For the Filling:
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or Gouda)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions (green onions)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil
For the Dough:
- Knead the dough until smooth on a floured surface. Allow it to rest for 30 minutes, covered with a damp cloth. into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add water to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork, until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
For the Filling:
- In a separate bowl, combine grated cheese, chopped onion, green bell pepper, scallions, parsley, and black pepper. Mix well.
Assembly and Frying:
- Divide the dough and roll each portion into thin rectangles or circles.
- Spoon cheese mixture onto one end of each rolled dough, leaving a small border. Fold and seal the edges.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan and fry the rolls until golden brown and crispy.
|Prepare the Dough||Make the Filling||Assemble and Fry|
|1. Combine flour and salt in a bowl.||1. Combine grated cheese, onion, bell pepper, scallions, parsley, and black pepper.||1. Roll the dough on a floured surface.|
|2. Add chilled, cubed butter and rub into the flour.||2. Assemble the cheese mixture onto one end of the rolled dough.||2. Spoon cheese mixture onto one end.|
|3. Gradually add water, stirring until a dough forms.||3. Ensure the filling is evenly distributed.||3. Fold the dough over the filling.|
|4. Knead on a floured surface and let it rest.||4. Be sure to leave a small border around the edges.||4. Seal the edges and fry until golden brown.|
|5. Fry seam side down, turning occasionally for even cooking.|
|6. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.|
Note: Nutritional values may vary based on specific ingredients used.
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 180
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 120mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 0.5g
- Protein: 5g
- “Absolutely delicious! The crispy exterior and cheesy filling are a match made in snack heaven.”
- “I made these for a family gathering and they disappeared in minutes.” A new favorite!”
How to Roast a Chicken Step-By-Step:
If you’re in the mood for more culinary adventures, consider trying a step-by-step guide on how to roast a chicken.
Roasted Chicken Tips:
- Use a flavorful rub or marinade for the chicken.
- Before roasting, make sure the chicken is at room temperature.
- Baste the chicken with pan juices for added flavor.
- Allow the chicken to rest before carving to allow the juices to be retained.
Community Tips and Praise:
Encourage your readers to share their tips for roasting chicken or any personal variations they’ve tried with the Guyanese Cheese Roll recipe.
In conclusion, the Guyanese Cheese Roll is a culinary delight that transcends borders, offering a taste of Guyana’s rich cultural heritage. With its crispy texture and flavorful filling, it’s a snack that’s sure to impress. So, roll up your sleeves and embark on a journey to create these delectable treats in your own kitchen!